Frequently Asked Questions. Here are some common questions about Microblading (Permanent Makeup) or Cosmetic Tattooing.
WHAT IS COSMETIC TATTOOING?
Cosmetic tattooing, also referred to as semi-permanent makeup or micropigmentation, is the process of implanting colour pigment beneath the surface of the skin by means of tiny, sterile, disposable needles to produce the appearance of hair strokes, makeup, or to enhance the natural features of the face.
DOES IT HURT?
A highly-effective, topical anesthetic cream and gel are used for numbing before and during your procedure. Pain threshold levels vary from person to person and every effort is made to ensure you remain comfortable for the entirety of the procedure. Having this service performed during your menstrual cycle may increase discomfort during your procedure. If you are a frequent smoker, the topical anesthetics used during the treatment will not last as long. If you have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, be aware that this may affect your sensitivity tolerance to the procedure.
HOW LONG WILL IT LAST?
Cosmetic tattoo and Microblading treatments are considered semi-permanent and will not wash off however, they will fade over time and may need to be refreshed every 1-2 years. Frequency of sessions depends on a number of factors including: the pigment colour used (lighter colours fade faster), lifestyle (sun exposure), and if any chemical peels come into contact with treated areas. Please note that final results CAN NOT be guaranteed as each unique skin type will hold pigments differently and break down at different rates. We will re-evaluate how your skin has received the pigment at your second session and make any changes necessary. Multiple sessions are normal for cosmetic tattoo procedures, with each new procedure requiring a minimum of 2 visits. Your second session can be booked no sooner than 6weeks after the initial appointment. The first and second session are both included in the initial procedure price. Additional sessions will be charged according to our current pricing. Previously tattooed areas will generally always require additional appointments.
HOW MANY TREATMENTS ARE NEEDED?
For most clients, a minimum of two treatments are usually needed, at least 6 weeks apart. With most procedures, the colour looks dramatically lighter after the first week. Some clients prefer this, while others opt for a bolder look. At the second session, we will assess the colour retention and make adjustments as necessary. Everyone heals differently and at different rates. If your cosmetic tattoo does not heal perfectly after the first session, do not worry! We can always go darker and add more density at your next appointment. PLEASE NOTE: If you have had your eyebrows previously tattooed and are interested in a cover-up/re-work, you MUST come for a free consultation, or email a clear picture before your appointment. We cannot guarantee results for cases such as these and we must approve that your eyebrows are workable. In some cases where the previous work is too dark, dense, discoloured, or large, tattoo removal will be highly recommended before we begin the cover-up/re-work. Previously tattooed areas and cover-ups will almost always require additional touch-ups for best results and will be charged accordingly.
WILL COSMETIC TATTOOING WORK FOR ME?
If you have extremely oily skin, the hairstroke eyebrow technique will NOT work well for you. The constant production of oil will cause the hairstrokes to heal with a diffused, softer look. Your end result will look more powdered than you would expect. A blended or shaded brow is a better option.
- If you have little to no existing hair, your tattoo will appear more 2-dimensional than those clients who have more hair naturally.
- Eyeliner and lip procedures work well on most people.
- If you are a frequent smoker, your pigment may fade sooner.
- If you are iron deficient or Anemic, your pigment may fade sooner and bleeding/bruising may occur during and after the procedure.
CAN I GET TATTOOED IF I AM PREGNANT OR NURSING?
As a precaution, we do not perform cosmetic tattooing on pregnant or nursing women.
HOW WILL MY COSMETIC TATTOO LOOK IN THE FUTURE?
During your appointment, we will analyze your skin’s undertone to anticipate how pigment colours will fade in the future. We will also mix pigments to ensure colour blends well with your existing eyebrow and hair colour. The majority of our clients’ cosmetic tattoos stay true to color and lighten naturally over time. There are some cases, however, where colours may fade to different tones according to the individual’s response to the pigments (like lifestyle and iron deficiencies). Many factors affect these changes. At your follow up appointment, we will re-analyze how your body has responded to the initial colour. Special formula alteration to correct the colour and to prevent further colour change is made at this time. Your eyebrow tattoo will eventually look softer and have more of a “powdered” look. This happens with all clients as the skin ages. To keep your hair strokes looking good, a refresher appointment is suggested every 1 to 2 years. Results vary with each client.
WHAT ABOUT LONG TERM CARE?
A good sunscreen should be applied daily AFTER healing and is required to help keep colour true. As with any tattoo, sun exposure will make the colour soften faster. Fading speed depends on your skintype, lifestyle, sun exposure, pigment colour used, broken capillaries, and if any chemical peels were done after your procedure. If you are planning a chemical peel, laser treatment or other medical procedure, please inform the technician that you have had a cosmetic tattoo. Careful application must be taken to avoid affecting the tattooed area. We will provide detailed aftercare instructions and an aftercare product at the time of your first procedure.
WHAT SHOULD I DO BEFORE MY PROCEDURE?
- If you have an ideal shape and colour in mind feel free to bring photo examples.
- You may fill in your eyebrows as you normally would so we can take into consideration the shape you desire.
- If you regularly get your eyebrows shaped, waxed, threaded or tinted, please do so at least 3 days before your appointment. If there are any stray hairs that fall outside of our final shape, we can remove them.
- If you plan to go on a vacation, it is best to plan your trip a minimum of 14 days after the procedure. Or get your tattoo after vacation.
- We require our clients to avoid any blood thinning medication for a minimum of 72 hours prior to their appointment. This includes Vitamin E, Aspirin, Niacin, fish oil supplements, and Ibuprofen.
- Do not drink any alcohol the night before and day of your appointment and limit the amount of caffeine you consume.
- If you have been on prescription Accutane in the past, you MUST wait at least one year before considering this procedure.
- It is highly recommended that you avoid SUN and TANNING BED exposure for 30 days BEFORE and AFTER your procedure. If you show up for your appointment with a new tan or a sunburn, you will need to reschedule and will forfeit your deposit. As your skin exfoliates from a sunburn, it will take the pigment with it.