Essential oils, which are also referred to as volatile oils, are scented oils extracted from different types of plants. And in today’s society these oils seem to be all the rave. So, why the name “essential”? This is because the oils contain the “essence” of the plant, aka the odor and or taste.
Besides their extreme popularity, oils have some amazing therapeutic and medical benefits (this will depend on the type of oil being used). Most oils can be applied directly to the skin, and some can be taken orally. Make note – DO NOT ingest or directly apply any oil before consulting/reading the directions. Essential oils are extremely concentrated and need to be diluted to safely use – called a “carrier oil”.
Health Benefits of Some Common Oils
- Oregano – helps fight off colds and the flue, supports liver function and its health, treat and reduce skin conditions (eczema).
- Lavender – improves sleep quality, promotes better concentration, hair regrowth, helps with anxiety, calming properties.
- Tea Tree – cleansing wounds, treating fungal infections, helps with dandruff, cleans pores/gets rid of blackheads and pimples, reduce inflammation and itching.
- Peppermint – alleviate nausea, headache, upset stomach, gas, indigestion, and anxiety. Also helps reduce outbreaks of cold sores and provides relief to those visible.
- Bergamot – pain relief, chest congestion, reduce fever, aid in digestive issues, mood balance, helps heal cuts and scraps.
- Eucalyptus – help alleviate coughs and congestion, muscle relaxation, helps with mental clarity, boosts energy.